Our commitment to protect your privacy
We recognise that any personal information we collect about you will only be used for the purposes we have collected it or as allowed under the law. It is important to us that you are confident that any personal information we hold about you will be treated in a way which ensures protection of your personal information.
Our commitment in respect of personal information is to abide by the New Zealand Privacy Principles for the protection of personal information, as set out in the Privacy Act 1993 (the Privacy Act) and any other relevant law.
Use of Your Information
We take your personal information very seriously. We may request personal information such as your name, address, phone number or email address in order to:
- fulfil requests for our products and services
- communicate with you and respond to your enquiries
- contact you from time to time about our products and services
- conduct occasional research about our products and services
- We may also collect usage information about your engagement with our website to improve the user experience, such as pages viewed, time spent on site etc.
Do we disclose your personal information?
We may disclose your personal information:
- to our employees, officers, Approved Mortgage advisers and franchisees, related bodies corporate, contractors or service providers for the purposes of operation of our website or our business, fulfilling requests by you, and to otherwise provide products and services to you including, without limitation, web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, and professional advisors such as accountants, solicitors, business advisors and consultants;
- to prospective funders, third parties or other intermediaries in relation to your finance requirements (including a prospective funder’s mortgage insurer (if any), any person with whom a funder proposes to enter into contractual arrangements, any person who provides a guarantee or security and any trustee and any assignee or potential assignee of a funder’s rights);
- to other organisations that are involved in managing or administering your finance such as third party suppliers, printing and postal services, call centres;
- to associated businesses that may want to market products to you;
- to companies that provide information and infrastructure systems to us;
- to anybody who represents you, such as finance brokers, lawyers and accountants;
- to anyone, where you have provided us consent;
- where we are required or authorised to do so by law, such as under the Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism Act 2009;
- to investors, agents or advisers, or any entity that has an interest in our business; or
- to your employer, referees, credit reporting agencies, identity verification services or anyone making an enquiry about you that you have authorised.
We will only disclose your personal information in accordance with our obligations under the Privacy Act. Prior to disclosing any of your personal information to another person or organisation, we will take all reasonable steps to satisfy ourselves that:
(a) the person or organisation has a commitment to protecting your personal information at least equal to our commitment, or
(b) you have consented to us making the disclosure.
We may use cloud storage to store the personal information we hold about you. The cloud storage and the IT servers may be located outside New Zealand.
Business without identifying you
In most circumstances it will be necessary for us to identify you in order to successfully do business with you, however, where it is lawful and practicable to do so, we will offer you the opportunity of doing business with us without providing us with personal information, for example, if you make general inquiries about interest rates or current promotional offers.
You may choose to interact with our website anonymously, but we will not be able to invite our participating finance brokers to contact you unless you provide your personal information.
How safe and secure is your personal information that we hold?
We will take reasonable steps to protect your personal information by storing it in a secure environment. We may store your personal information in paper and electronic form. We will also take reasonable steps to protect any personal information from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. For example, personal information that you submit on our website are stored in electronic systems that have access controls in place.
We will destroy or permanently de-identify personal information if it is no longer required for the purposes for which it was collected.
We do not sell or rent personal information to third parties.
We will never collect sensitive information about you without your explicit consent. The information we hold will be secure, accurate and up to date. You can check the information that we hold about you by emailing us. If you find any inaccuracies, we will delete or correct it promptly.
We will only release account and other personal information if we believe release is appropriate to comply with law, facilitate court proceedings, enforce or apply our terms and conditions, or protect the rights, property, or our safety, our users, or others.
Updating Your Personal Information
We will provide you with ways in which you can alter your personal data, including changing your email address, password, phone number, etc. You may also opt out of non-administrative emails at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link in promotional emails, or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Collecting Usage Information
Third Party Advertising
Third party vendors, including Google, show our ads on sites on the internet. These vendors use their own cookies or pixel tags to serve adverts to you based on your prior visits to our website. We are not responsible for the information practices of these third parties.
We use Google Analytics on our website to track your actions and help us optimise our site for conversions and usability. While we can see data gathered over a timeframe, we do not collect personally identifying information from any source as part of the terms of service of Google Analytics.
A condition of our use of Google Analytics is that we make reasonable endeavours to bring to your attention the following statement:
Do Not Track
If you are using a modern browser, you have the option to enable a “Do Not Track” feature in the browser’s privacy settings.
This has no effect on whether we collect any information you directly submit to us, but may restrict our ability to measure your anonymous path through our website or certain information about your browser/operating system.
If you would like to enable Do Not Track, you can read more information about it here.
Credit Card Security
Your credit card details do not get processed or transmitted through or via the approvedmortgages.co.nz website; all transactions are processed through a secure payment service provider. We use Payment Express to provide this service. Payment Express hosts and manages the payment page. All transaction sessions are stored and processed in encrypted strings. However, we will not be responsible for any damages, consequential losses (whether direct or indirect) suffered by a customer whose credit card is fraudulently used or is used in an unauthorised manner as a result of using this website.
Updates to Our Information Practices
From time to time, we make changes to our information practices or alter the functionality of our website. We always update this statement accordingly, so we encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on privacy practices at approvedmortgages.co.nz.
If you are dissatisfied with how we have dealt with your personal information, or you have a complaint about our compliance with the Privacy Act, you may contact our privacy officer at email@example.com.
We will acknowledge your complaint within seven days. We will usually provide you with a decision on your complaint within 30 days.
If you are dissatisfied with the response of our privacy officer you may make a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner which can be contacted either using the website www.privacy.org.nz or on 04-474 7590 (Wellington) or 09-302 8680 (Auckland).
How to Contact Us
Registered Office: 159 Kitchener Road,
0800 5626669 (0800LOANNOW)